All of us face stress in our lives simply because we are alive. Thankfully we don’t have to give in to the stress, there are many things that we can do to reduce the stress and live a life of meaning and success.
If we allow stress to take control of us we can end up frustrated, discouraged and overwhelmed. It’s much better to stop the stress before it overtakes us!
It is definitely going to be impossible to rid the stress altogether most of the time, though there may be times that we can do that. In most cases we must find a way to deal with the stress and make the most of it.
We can still control how we respond to it!
One thing that we must fully understand is that nobody can make us feel or think anything. We are responsible for our own feelings, thoughts and actions.
It is actually very freeing when you think about it!
The following list contains ten easy ways to reduce stress, some are easier than others – but they are all easy when compared to the negative effects of not doing them!
10 Simple Ways to Reduce Stress
- Breathe Correctly. You read that right: breathe correctly. You can find out if you breathe correctly by laying down and placing one hand over your stomach and one hand over your chest. Breathe normally and see which hand rises. If the hand over your stomach rises then you breath correctly, if the hand over your chest rises you breathe incorrectly. You are breathing too shallow and not getting enough oxygen! You can also learn to breathe well with meditation.
- Eat Well. A well taken care of body will function much better than a body that is not fed the proper nutrition. You wouldn’t put a sports drink in your car, so why fuel your body with foods that will harm it? You can eat foods that will put more stress hormones into your body or you can put foods in that will optimize the performance both physically and mentally.
- Exercise. For the same reasons mentioned above exercise is vital for reducing stress. It also releases some great hormones that allow us to feel great, have you ever noticed how much better you feel after a good workout? You could conquer the world!
- Turn off the Television. There is a lot of negativity on the television screen, movies and shows are filled with stress, anxiety and tension – and we call it entertainment! The news is even worse because it’s real life and the stuff that sells is downright depressing and stressful. Just cutting the news out made a huge difference in my stress levels. Some people get really worked up over the news and will even start yelling at the TV set. It’s not worth it if you want a relaxed lifestyle.
- Read Books that Motivate. Don’t just cut out negative influences such as the news and other television programming, add in positive influences as well. Grab a book that feeds your mind, there are so many out there to choose from. You won’t find any shortage! You’re here reading this blog so you are on the right path!
- Speak Affirmations. Affirmations are a great way to get your mind focused on what you want it to be focused on! I am working on an ebook filled with affirmations so keep a lookout for that or you can create your own which can be very powerful.
- Do a Good Deed. Do something for someone else who has a need, it will help you to feel better and you will get your mind off whatever is stressing you out.
- Stay Out of Other People’s Drama. Misery loves company and others are usually more than happy to invite you to join their pity party or stress fest. Other people will do more than invite you to join them, they will outright demand it throwing a fit if they don’t get their own way. Do everything in your power to stay out of their drama, avoiding the other person if necessary or possible.
- Spend Time Laughing. Laughing is a great stress reliever and it has many healing properties too. Know what makes you laugh and keep a list of what makes you laugh so you can go to it when you are feeling stressed.
- Forgive. Forgive others and forgive yourself. Forgiveness frees us from the prison of all the negativity involved with unforgiveness. It’s not saying that the other person was right (if you are forgiving someone else) it’s about letting yourself move on and letting go of the negativity.
There are thousands of ways to reduce stress, what are your favorites?? Please share in the comments and if you think any of your followers would benefit from this post please tweet, share, and vote! Thanks so much!
To Your Success,