A lot of people today are turning to the internet to make money!
Some people are hoping to completely replace the income from a job that drains them instead of inspires them. Others would like to bring in extra money to go on vacations or have some other “extra” in their life.
There are some of those who hope to find something that brings in millions with the push of a button and no work. Others do expect to work just as much as they are now while others who expect to work hope to work less than they are now.
What category do you fall into? Or are you already making so much money that you don’t need anymore? (If that’s the case, what are you doing here reading this post??)
It’s important to know what your goals are before you begin looking for ways to make money online. It would be highly unwise to run out to Google or Swagbucks (a search engine that pays you) and just start searching “how to make money online”.
You will find yourself with an overwhelming amount of pages of search results. You won’t know what is a good fit for you or not if you don’t have an end goal in mind from the beginning.
Once you have a goal in mind you will be far more likely to succeed on your search. Before you jump in I want to share with you some ways not to make money online. Some will be more obvious than others.
20 Ways to Not Make Money Online
- Play games: Facebook Marketing does not include Farmville or Sorority Life.
- Purchase the first “How to Make Money Online” guide or course that you see.
- Purchase every “How to Make Money Online” guide or course that you find.
- Believe everything that you read on a site or hear in in a video. Check out the credibility of the person or program, even better if you can build a relationship and gain their trust.
- Join every newsletter and download every free ebook, audio, video, webinar, etc. You’ll waste your life reading, watching and listening. Also if you don’t know the authors you could be getting very bad info.
- Obsess over your money making accounts: you’ll waste your time if you sit there refreshing all day to see if you made any new money.
- Look at people as dollar signs instead of as relationships.
- Use people for what they can give you instead of what you can give them.
- Spend your time on Facebook posting about your dog, your irritating neighbors, etc.
- Don’t apply what you’ve learned, hope that just learning how to make money will put dollars into your account.
- Have no daily goals, if you don’t have a plan you will get distracted and spend most of your time on things that don’t bring in money.
- Specialize in everything, if you spread yourself thin there is no way that you can focus on any one thing and you won’t succeed at anything either.
- Don’t start a blog: blogging is great way to provide value, build relationships and trust, have a centralized online home, build a list, etc.
- Don’t work on a list. If you haven’t heard it already, the money is in the list. This was one mistake that I made, I waited too long to start building a list. You don’t need any money to start, try mailchimp – they are a great free autoresponder for those with a small or growing list.
- Fill your blog with ads, nothing will turn people off more than feeling like all you want is their money.
- Blame everyone except yourself for the lack of money flowing into your account.
- Don’t pay any attention to SEO or marketing your blog.
- Focus only on the SEO of your blog forgetting that you’re actually writing for your readers and not the search engines.
- Pretend to be an expert at something that you are not. Teach what you know, there will always be others who know less than you and want to learn from you.
- Ditch the personal development. We are all works in progress and we will always need to grow and better ourselves.
I would love to hear your thoughts and any other “how not to’s” that you have! Please share in the comments section and share, vote, etc. if you enjoyed this post.
To Your Success,